Monday, April 11, 2011

New Passion

Last week, I discovered Capoeira. There was a capoeira roda (circle) near my house, and my housemates and I went to check it out. At first we just watched along with some other spectators, but after the fighting had ended, singing, music playing and dancing ensued. The mestre (teacher) dragged us into the circle, and we joined in the dancing and clapping (much to my embarrassment!). At the end of the roda, he showed us around the “studio” and invited us to join in the classes. My first eyewitness experience of a roda was beautiful and organic.

“Capoeira é igual que o amor: não tem idade.” “Capoeira is the same as love: it has no age.”
~Mestre Grilo

Since then, I have been training with the group. We begin with calisthenics and stretches, and then practice specific moves- I haven’t learned the names for any of them yet, but it is like a mix of gymnastics (handstands, cartwheels, flips, and all kinds of other crazy air-bound bodily contortions) and martial arts. Every class ends with a roda (involving music, singing, and two people fighting at a time). Capoeira requires strength, flexibility, concentration, and rhythm. Sounds a lot like yoga, right? I have been desperately searching for a yoga class in Ilhéus but after playing capoeria, I realized that this might just be the outlet I have been looking for.

It is hard to describe the feelings that Capoeira produces. When I practice, similar to yoga, I am entirely present and

every

movement

is

deliberate.

I realized the extent of this presence last week, when in the middle of practice, I realized that over an hour had passed and my thoughts had been entirely focused on the present act. Capoeria is teaching me about a culture that I have never been a part of before. It is an ancient tradition, and when you practice, you feel connected to every human that touched the tradition. Practicing Capoeira gives me a sense of belonging; a sense of belonging to place I never knew I belonged.

No comments:

Post a Comment